Scrolla logo

Six-year-old dies after eating biscuits from local spaza shop

Refilwe Usman fell ill and died after consuming All-Star biscuits bought from a foreign-owned tuck shop.

Two other learners from Mandlethu Primary School in Tsakani, Ekurhuleni, who also consumed the biscuits became ill during school hours and were rushed to hospital.

Refilwe’s grieving father told Scrolla.Africa he was shocked when he received a call from the school informing him that his daughter was very sick.

“By the time I got to the school, I found her vomiting and very weak. She died in my arms while waiting for the paramedics.”

The father said he is heartbroken as he is the one who bought his daughter the biscuits.

“This was the first time that I bought her these biscuits. I normally give her pocket money to buy snacks at school,” he said.

Tuck shop owner William Sumamo said although the father has confirmed that they bought the biscuits from his shop they cannot be held accountable.

“It cannot be claimed that she died from eating the biscuits. We have to wait for a post-mortem report. We also don’t make this food but buy it from big supermarkets,” he said.

“There are contact details on the packaging for customers to call when they have complaints about the products.”

Department of Education spokesperson Steve Mabona said police are investigating the circumstances around the incident.

“Our psycho-social support unit will be deployed to the school to provide trauma support and counselling to all affected individuals.

“We plead with parents to be vigilant with the edible goods that their children consume,” he said.

Pictured above: Refilwe Usman, 6, died after eating biscuits from a local tuck shop.

Image source: Doreen Mokgolo