The crucial transfer calls Arthur Zwane should make
After signing nine players before the start of the 2022/23 season, Kaizer Chiefs coach Arthur Zwane is facing another huge task to adjust his squad from January to June 2023.
The month-long mid-season transfer window opens on 1 January 2023 and the Amakhosi coach has insisted they need to go into the market as they try to build a highly competitive outfit.
Some Chiefs players will be entering the final months of their contracts and Zwane will have to decide whether or not to extend their current deals.
There are also other players on the radar of the Soweto giants and the coach has to make up his mind regarding those.
Recently, the Amakhosi tactician opted against signing former Newcastle United defender Bradley Cross who briefly trained with Chiefs.
Scrolla.Africa takes a look at the 10 crucial transfer decisions Zwane should make between now and June 2023.
- Itumeleng Khune: The Chiefs skipper’s contract expires at the end of the current season and he is now 35, while Zwane prefers younger players. Khune has reclaimed his place in the team but with him now being injury-prone, it’s a tough choice for Zwane to make.
- Khama Billiat: The Zimbabwean is nearing the end of his contract. He has not been at his best this season and has become a pale shadow of his former self.
- Njabulo Blom: The utility player has been linked with Mamelodi Sundowns and SuperSport United but reports suggest Chiefs have opened talks for contract renewal. If the discussions do not move at a faster pace, Blom will be free to sign a pre-contract with a club of his choice starting in January.
- Balint Bajner: The former Borussia Dortmund striker is back on trial at Chiefs after initially auditioning at the same club in 2019. Zwane has to decide if 32-year-old Hungarian Bajner is the right man to solve their attacking frailties.
- Boris Kopitovic: Kopitovic is another forward Zwane is looking at. He will have to be firm in his decision on whether to sign the Hungarian.
- Erick Mathoho: The lanky defender has been struggling for game time this season and it looks likely his contract will not be renewed at the end of the term. But it is Zwane’s call to make.
- Phathushedzo Nange: Another player whose current deal is running out in June and is struggling for playing opportunities just like Mathoho.
- Austin Dube: Dube has fallen out of favour with Zwane and is reportedly keen to go on loan in January.
- Sifiso Hlanti: Hlanti is showing his experience at the back but at 32, he is not at the age Zwane prefers.
- Dino Ndlovu: A prolific striker, Ndlovu is unsettled and has been linked with Chiefs but again, at 32, his age will provide Zwane with a tough decision to make.
Pictured above: Khama Billiat
Image source: Kaizer Chiefs FC